Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Minnie Mouse Costume


 
Good morning and happy day after Halloween!  This was Lyla's 3rd Halloween and her 1st time trick or treating in the neighborhood.  It was pretty cold so we only went to a few houses but it was fun anyway.  I have made all three of Lyla's costumes and plan to continue making costumes for both my girls because it is so much fun.
When Lyla was 3 months old she was an owl.  You can read about how I made this costume here.  This costume was a no sew costume.
Last year Lyla was a cat.  You can read about that costume here.  This was also a no sew costume and was extremely simple to make.
This year Lyla was Minnie Mouse.  This was my first time sewing a costume for Lyla and I am so pleased with how it turned out!  When I decided that she was going to be Minnie for Halloween I spent some time searching for the perfect dress pattern.  I knew that it had to have a peter pan collar, puff sleeves (this reminds me of Anne of Green Gables and how she begged Marilla to make her a dress with puff sleeves), and a sash.  After searching I found The English Rose Dress pattern from the Etsy shop Mandy K Design.  It was perfect!
I like the look of the traditional Minnie with the red and white polka dot dress as opposed to the new pink and white version.  I found the red and white polka dot fabric at Joann Fabrics and also purchased some plain white cotton fabric for the accents.  The only other fabric I needed was some white muslin for the bodice lining which I already had on hand.  The pattern had several options for collars, sashes, and ruffles.  I chose the peter pan collar, the simple sash, and the fabric ruffle.  As you can see I chose to make the collar, sash, sleeve trim, and fabric ruffle with the white accent fabric.  I made the 3T size to make sure the dress would be roomy enough.  This pattern used layers in Adobe which is nice because I only had to print out the pattern pieces for the size I wanted to make.

This was a great pattern!  The instructions were easy to follow although I would definitely say this is an intermediate sewing pattern.  You will get really good at your gathering skills by the time you are done with this dress because there is a ton of gathering.  I only had to use the seam ripper once so I must be getting better at sewing!




For the ears I just purchased some from Target for $3.99.  They were in the party supplies section.  They had both Mickey and Minnie ones.  I bought the Mickey ones because I wanted to make a bow out of leftover fabric from the dress.  You can find a ton of bow tutorials online.  The are quite easy to make.  Then I just hot glued the bow onto the ears.

She didn't always want to wear the ears.  That is the explanation for her reaction in the top photo above ha ha!  I ended up putting her hair in two buns to help hold the headband for the ears on but they also doubled as ears themselves when she wouldn't wear the headband.  The only other things that I needed for the costume were a pair of black tights and a long sleeve black shirt.
On Halloween it was quite cold so I found this adorable hat and mitten set on Amazon.  I just love those pom pom balls for the ears.  The bonus is that my Minnie loving girl can use them all winter!
I didn't make a costume for Ana and she was a little too small yet to fit Lyla's owl costume so she just wore a cute Halloween outfit.  

I hope you enjoyed this post on Lyla's adorable costume.  Next up on the blog I will be posting on Ana's monthly photos.  She is already a month old!  It is so crazy!  I have also begun work on the fireplace in the living room and I can't wait to share that makeover with you too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...