Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Harry Potter Ringer Onesie



Hello!  I am back today with a quick post on a gift that I made for a baby shower I attended a few weeks ago.  One of the games that was played at the shower was having the mom-to-be guess which onesie each guest brought.  I thought it would be fun to make a onesie.  Normally I would just buy a onesie and then add my own design using my Silhouette Portrait.  This time, however, I thought it was time to try out a tutorial for making a ringer onesie.

I used this free pattern and tutorial from Shwin and Shwin.  This is the same site that I found the Eleanor Dress pattern at from this post.
The pattern was free and the tutorial was pretty easy to follow.  For the fabric I used a heather grey interlock that I found at Joann Fabrics and a white rib knit.  I wanted to use a burgundy rib knit to make it more Harry Potter-esque but I couldn't find a rib knit in that color anywhere.  I used some yellow Kam snaps for the snaps.  The onesie isn't perfect.  I would need to practice a little bit more to get it down.  The biggest flaw in the onesie is in the leg ribbing because I didn't stretch it well enough at the beginning and ended up not being able to quite reach it all the way around.  It isn't a big deal though since you can't really see it.
I used my Silhouette Portrait to create a heat transfer design.  You can read more about creating heat transfer designs in this post and this post and this post.  You can find lots of free Harry Potter inspired fonts online to use for this project.  I used a font called Black Chancery.  For the shoe prints I just did a google image search on shoe prints and then dragged the one I liked into the Silhouette software. I then traced it to make a cut design.  I cut the words out on smooth white heat transfer material and the shoe prints out on silver foil-like heat transfer material (it is actually Cricut brand because that is easy to find in stores around here).

In the pictures you can see my latest set of burp cloths that I made for the momma-to-be as well. Well I hope this post will be an uplifting distraction to you on this very scary day in history!  I will leave you today with the words of a canon that my choir is working on since I feel that we need to hear these simple yet powerful words today:
What a goodly thing 
if the children of the world
could dwell together in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...