Monday, July 25, 2016

Kitty ONEsie + Ribbon Trimmed Tulle Skirt

My baby girl is 1!  I can't believe it!  Where did this year go?  This is the first of few posts that will revolve around her 1st birthday.  Today I am sharing the outfit that I put together that she wore for her last installment of monthly photos and her birthday party.

First, lets talk about the onesie (I called it a ONEsie, see what I did there ;).  I purchased the onesie itself at Hobby Lobby but the design was created with my Silhouette Portrait.  When I was looking for ideas for 1st birthday outfits I found an image of a onesie with Minnie Mouse as the "o" of the word "one."  Since my daughter loves kitties I decided to take that idea and do a kitty as the "o" instead.
It was a pretty easy design to put together.  I used shapes in the Silhouette software to create the head and ears of the kitty.  The whiskers are just lines with rounded edges.  The kitty face is borrowed from a couple of different kitty designs that I had in my library.  I used a script font for the "n" and the "e."  I then welded the cat head and the "n" and "e" together.  Since it was a heat transfer design I made sure to mirror the image.  I used a gold glitter heat transfer material for the word and white heat transfer material for the whiskers of the cat.  You can check out how to layer heat transfer material in this post on how to make a Dr. Seuss thing maternity shirt.

I used two different video tutorials to make the skirt.  This video is a nice tutorial for making a tulle tutu with an elastic waist.  It gives ideas for how long to cut the tulle pieces and elastic depending on the age of your child. This video shows how to make a tulle skirt with ribbon trim.  I liked this method because she sewed the ribbon to the tulle pieces before attaching them to the elastic.  This tutorial shows how to sew the ribbon onto the tulle after the tulle has already been tied onto the elastic if you would like to use a different method.

And here are some more shots of the outfit in action.  You can see the many expressions of Lyla in this small sampling of the roughly 100 shots I took.



I love the expression in the last one especially and had to use it for her baby book despite the blurry hand.  Hopefully this post will inspire you for whatever project you are completing!

1 comment:

  1. Aww! She looks gorgeous here. Happy birthday to the little one. I will also share photographs from my niece’s first birthday party. We booked one of the finest event venues Chicago for her birthday celebration. I had an amazing time organizing everything.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...