Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Hot Chocolate Mug Gift Pouches

Sometimes I am on the ball and churn out several posts within a week of each other.  This would be one of those times.  Today's project was actually one that I came up with last minute.  I realized about a week ago that I should probably give Christmas gifts to the staff at Lyla's daycare.  So (*this will come as a big shocker*) I scoured Pinterest for ideas for simple, inexpensive gift ideas.  I decided that I wanted to do some sort of hot chocolate gift. Then I found this design from the Silhouette Design Store and I instantly had my idea planned in my head.
I liked the Santa design but I quickly discovered that the only red card stock that I had was kind of a pinky red that seemed more magenta than true red.  I did however have some lovely blue card stock, white card stock, and kraft paper so I started to figure out a design.  I decided that I would make the mug pouches blue and use the kraft paper and white card stock for accents.

I started by making some embossed snowflakes on kraft paper and then cutting them out.  This probably would of been a good application for PixScan but I was under a time constraint so I just opted to cut them out by hand.

During my first year of marriage to my husband, I decided to make Christmas cards since I apparently hadn't had enough card making despite the 180 invitations that I had made for our wedding.  I learned about embossing and decided to invest in the supplies to use the technique on our Christmas cards.  You can use any stamp to emboss.  You just need embossing ink, embossing powder, and an embossing drying tool which is similar to a hair dryer.
I love watching the powder change to liquid as the tool heats it up.  It is kind of similar to heating up the sugar on top of creme brulee with a kitchen torch.
I then used a shape that I already had in my library to create a message embellishment for the mugs. The larger background piece was cut out of kraft paper.  I used white card stock and the print and cut feature of the Silhouette to make the top piece.

One I had all of my pieces cut out I put everything together using glue dots (until I ran out of glue dots and had to use scotch tape).
I then placed a packet of Swiss Miss cocoa, a snack sized Ziploc full of mini marshmallows, and a candy cane in each pouch.
This would make a great simple gift for anyone to show your appreciation of them.  It could also make a great favor for a party.  Let me know what you think of my latest project!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...