Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Photo Projects in the Nursery


Photographs are an important part of keeping the past alive.  With the technology that we have today, people take more pictures than ever but because everything is digital we often don't do anything with those photos.  Over the past several years, I have gotten into the habit of making a family yearbook of photos that I put together on Shutterfly because I believe it is important to have those photos exist somewhere other than on my computer or a Facebook album.  There are so many other great ways that you can use print photos so today's post is about some photo projects that I completed in the nursery.

The first project was to complete the decor for the floating shelf in the nursery.  It looked like this the last time I posted it:
I had found some lovely frames at TJ Maxx but they were still empty at that point in time.  I decided to fill those frames with some old photos of my Great Aunt Lyla who we are naming our daughter after.

It was a bit tricky to fill those little frames but after some trial and error I was able to get the photos to fit the way I wanted them to.

I just love how this little shelf turned out especially since it was not in my initial plans for the nursery.  We received the shelf as a wedding gift but never put it up because we never found a suitable place for it.  It turns out that it was just waiting to be in this room for our little one :).

Now on to the second project in this post. The wall with the cubby display case seemed a little bare.
So I decided to turn the space around the case into a photo wall.  I found photos of various family members, made them black and white, and then ordered 4 by 6 prints from Shutterfly.  I found some sparkly hemp twine at Hobby Lobby and some fancy pushpins at Target. I also picked up some mini clothespins from Hobby Lobby.  I decided that I wanted the clothespins to have an aged look to go with the vintage feel of the room.
I placed a piece of steel wool in a jar and poured vinegar over it.
I probably just needed to let it sit overnight but I forgot about it so it actually sat for several days.  I then removed the steel wool and put the clothespins in the jar for a minute.  I removed them after about a minute and let them dry on a paper towel.
I think they turned out perfectly.  To make the photo wall I strung pieces of the twine across the wall and attached them to the wall with the push pins.
The push pins are gold with milk glass tops.  Is it weird that when I thought about finding fancy push pins that I immediately thought of Target?  They have some seriously fancy office supplies at Target folks.
So here is how that corner of the room looks now.  You know that I was tired when I took these pictures because I didn't even bother to clean the supplies off of the changing pad.  Oops!
I love the personal touch that the photos add to the nursery.  I have quite a few posts that are ready to share in the next few weeks.  It will just be a race to see whether I can get them all posted before baby girl decides to arrive!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...