Monday, March 30, 2015

Chalkboard Globe

Hello folks!  It is time for another nursery update.  A while ago I came across an awesome chalkboard globe on Pinterest and I knew that I wanted to do the same thing in the nursery.  You can check out the detailed tutorial here from the blog, Blue i Style.  

I found my globe for $35 at a local store that sells only midcentury modern furniture and goods.  The rest of the supplies that I needed was sandpaper, two Behr latex sample paints in navy and coral, clear chalkboard paint, various art brushes, a gold oil based sharpie paint pen, and chalk.
I started by lightly sanding the globe just to give it a little grit for the paint to adhere to and then I cleaned it off before painting.
Next I painted all the water area with the navy paint using different sizes of brushes.
After 2 coats of the navy I started painting the land coral.  It took 3 coats.
I painted a third coat of the navy and then outlined all the land with the gold sharpie paint pen.  I forgot to take a picture of this step and the next two steps, oops.  I blame it on pregnancy brain!  Next I painted two coats of the clear chalkboard paint and after waiting a day I primed the surface by rubbing chalk all over it.

So there you have it.  It was an easy project but it took some patience and a steady hand.  I think it will be a cute addition to the vintage travel nursery! The fabric for the nursery curtains arrived last week so I am excited to get started on those over Easter break.  



1 comment:

  1. I precisely needed to appreciate you again. I do not know what I would've achieved in the absence of those creative ideas revealed by you about such situation. It became an absolute daunting condition in my circumstances, nevertheless being able to view a well-written technique you processed the issue forced me to cry for gladness. Now i'm happy for this assistance and sincerely hope you comprehend what a powerful job your are undertaking educating other individuals through the use of your blog post. I'm certain you've never encountered any of us.
    Kids curtains

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...