Thursday, July 3, 2014

Craft Closet Update: Pretty Plastic Storage + Print and Cut Chalkboard Labels

So back in January I decided to take one of the messy closets in our office and turn it into a functional storage space for my craft and sewing supplies which I detailed in this post
The addition of the shelves really helped to maximize the space in this small closet.  When I posted this project I knew that it was still a long ways from being done so today I am back with an update on the progress of this space.

First up, those ugly plastic Sterilite drawers. They are so functional but they aren't very pretty.  I know that they are in a closet and I could just shut the door but it makes me so much happier to see pretty things when I open up the closet.
I actually purchased several more of these drawers in various sizes and then gathered up my supplies.  I used some cut patterned cardstock in rainbow houndstooth and another fun rainbow pattern.  I don't have a lot of pictures of the process but it was super simple. I measured the inside of the drawer fronts and cut out pieces of the cardstock using those dimensions. I decided to only cover the fronts since that is the only part that would be visible on the closet shelves.  I took my trusty Mod Podge and used a foam brush to apply it to the inside of the drawers and also put some on the cardstock.  I then pressed the cardstock to the inside of the drawer fronts making sure to smooth out any bubbles.  After letting it dry for a little bit I applied some more Mod Podge to the back of the cardstock just to give it a little protection.
You may have noticed the labels on the drawers.  I made those using printable white sticker paper from the Silhouette store and the print and cut feature of the Silhouette machine.  I took lots of screen shots so that I could give a little tutorial on how I made them.  I wanted them to have a chalkboard look.  I could of made them with chalkboard vinyl but cute fonts look so much better than my hand writing.  All right lets get started with this little tutorial.

I started with a label shape that I had in my library.  Silhouette has lots of great label shapes in their online store. I started by going to the fill color window and selecting black for the fill color.
I added my letters to the label.  I used one of my favorite fonts called Sketch Block.  Any sketchy or hand drawn font would work well.  Then I changed the fill color of the lettering to white. I also changed the line color of the lettering to no color so that I could better visualize the finished product.
Then I went to the cut settings window and selected cut edge so that only the label would be cut out in the end.
I duplicated my label and changed the lettering for my various labels.  Here I zoomed in so that you could see what my Sketch Block font will look like when I print the labels.
I then turned on the registration marks and adjusted my labels so that they fit within the lines. Make sure that your shapes don't touch the the gray area.  Once you have them arranged to your liking, load the sticker paper into your printer and send your document to the printer.  Make sure that you paper is loaded correctly so that it will print on the sticker part and not on the backing.
The registration marks will print.  Your Silhouette machine will read these so that it knows where to cut.  My printer was low on ink.  I kind of liked the way it came out because it looked like chalk smudges.  If you want to get that look and don't want to wait until your printer is low on ink just rub some chalk over the labels and wipe off the excess.  Place the sheet on your cutting mat and load it into your machine.
Send the document to your Silhouette.  Select the white sticker paper in the material type menu and change your blade to the recommended setting.  After the Silhouette reads the registration marks it will cut out the labels.
 It was so easy and they look awesome on my plastic storage drawers!
Here are a couple more updates to the office.
I found this little basket that hangs on the wire shelving which is perfect for holding my vinyl and heat transfer material.  I got mine at Fleet Farm but I am sure you could find something similar at Home Depot or Lowes.

A few months ago I found a cool solution for storing my thread which I detailed in this post.
I had some open space on the left side of the board so I decided to add some washi tape storage to the board.
I just added two small Command hooks with the movable metal hooks and a wooden dowel. It was easy and simple and it looks cute.  Well that is it.  I packed a lot of stuff into this post.  There is still so much to be done in the closet.  Right now I am working on a storage solution for my yards of fabric so check back next week sometime for that project.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...