Friday, April 18, 2014

Corkboard Thread Storage

Happy early Easter everyone!  It is Good Friday and I am on off from work today.  Unfortunately I have a nasty cold so I get to spend my 4 day weekend sick.  Yay.  But on the positive side this gives me time to write a blog post.

So if you haven't guessed it by now, I love my Silhouette Portrait.  I bought it last July and have already done so many things with it.  One of my recent projects was for a  pregnant coworker.  If you want to see more about how to create a project like this check out this post.
Now lets get to the real point of this post which also involved my Silhouette Portrait.  Ever since I did my craft closet upgrade this project has been on my list.  I have a growing collection of thread as I have been sewing for almost 2 years now and I wanted a way to store my thread that would also be attractive.  I've had this corkboard for a long time now.  When I lived in the dorms in college I covered it with shiny purple fabric and put pictures on it.  I took the fabric off of it a few years ago and when I was looking for craft storage ideas on Pinterest and saw ideas for thread storage I knew that this was the new purpose for this corkboard.
I started by taping off the cork and then painted the frame with a paint sample that I had left over from when we were deciding what color to paint our bedroom.  The color is Behr Smoked Oyster and it is a nice shade of greige.
Next I used my Silhouette to make a stencil from a transparency sheet.  You can read more about this technique in this post on my dining chair redo.  The shape is from the Silhouette Online store.  I used a gold Martha Stewart craft paint that I had on hand and a foam brush to apply it.  The gold blends in nicely with the cork so the pattern is subtle which I like.
I then took some nails and nailed them in at fairly even intervals.  I have to admit that I was lazy and just eyeballed it so it isn't perfect.
I only covered half the board in nails which allows me space for 54 spools of thread.  I have room to grow if I ever need it but I am doubtful that I will.  The other side can be used for photos and memos.  I also hung my fabric shears and pinking shears on the board.

I am in love with how this turned out but I am not in love with the purple walls in our office.  Someday I will get around to painting them. One project at a time right!


1 comment:

  1. Cute idea! I would love it if you joined and contribute your awesome posts at my link party at City of Creative Dreams on Fridays :D Hope to see you there at City of Creative Dreams Link Party.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...